UN Special Envoy-Global Issues

He reported that prior to the presidential and parliamentary polls, the political climate was still “severely polarized,” which was based on the road map adopted after the historic ceasefire last year and the establishment of the interim government.

Although Libyans are eager to vote, there is still “voice opposition” to the legal framework surrounding the election. Said Mr. Kubiš who recently resigned.

Delicate juncture

Tensions over some high-profile presidential candidacy issues are also increasing, and concerns about armed confrontation are also increasing.

The envoy urged opponents to express their concerns and respect the verdict through existing judicial mechanisms.

“Libya continues to be at a delicate and fragile juncture on the road to unity and stability through the ballot box,” said Mr. Kubis, who is also the head of the United Nations Mission in Libya. UNSMIL.

“Although the risks associated with the continued political polarization surrounding the elections are obvious and existing, the failure to hold elections may seriously worsen the situation in the country and may lead to further divisions and conflicts.”

The Libyan High National Electoral Commission (HNEC) has confirmed that the first round of presidential elections will be held on December 24.

Candidates move forward

The second round and parliamentary elections will be held in 50 days. All final results will be announced at the same time.

The registration of the presidential candidate ended this week. Mr. Kubis said that a preliminary list is expected on Thursday afternoon, and about 98 people, including two women, will submit their names.

Candidates include Interim Prime Minister Abdul Hamid Dbeibah and former President Muammar Gaddafi’s son Saif-Islam Gaddafi (Saif-Islam Gaddafi). al-Islam Gaddafi), the latter was deposed in 2011, and the country has since fallen into crisis. Until recently, two opposing governments were still fighting for power.

The ongoing registration for parliamentary elections will end on December 7. So far, more than 2,000 people, including 276 women, have come forward as candidates.

“Eager” to vote

At the same time, nearly 2 million voter cards have been distributed so far. In addition, more than 3,200 domestic observers, 320 domestic media representatives, 20 international media and 9 international observer organizations have applied for HNEC certification.

Mr. Kubish said that the large number of registered voters and candidates showed that Libyans are “eager to have the opportunity to elect their representatives and empower them to govern Libya through democratic legitimacy”.

He added that this aspiration must be realized and emphasized the need for international support to maintain the integrity of the electoral process.

He emphasized that although the judiciary will make the final decision on any objections raised, whether it is about the procedure or the presidential candidate, the final decision will ultimately be made by the Libyan people.

The special envoy said: “The future of the Libyans and the future of Libya are in their hands.”

“They should participate in elections and vote for those who are committed to establishing a stable, prosperous, united, sovereign and democratic Libya, governing the country according to the law, and committed to fighting corruption, pursuing national reconciliation, justice and accountability.”

Special envoy resigns

Mr. Kubis also talked about his decision to resign and submitted a letter of resignation to the United Nations. Antonio Guterres last week.

He said that in view of the ongoing political and security transition in Libya, as well as the “delicate and complex electoral process”, the need for the UN mediation process and mediation role has intensified.

Therefore, he suggested that the head of UNSMIL should be urgently transferred to Tripoli, the capital he has long supported, and that the positions of special envoy and head of the United Nations mission should be split at the same time.

“In order to create conditions for this, I proposed to resign on November 17, 2021,” said Mr. Kubis, who has expressed his willingness to continue a transitional period that covers the electoral process.

United Nations spokesperson Stephen Dujarric said in a speech on Tuesday that Mr. Guterres has accepted the resignation of the special envoy “With remorse” And is researching suitable alternatives.

He said: “We all fully understand the election schedule and are working as quickly as possible to ensure the continuity of the leadership.”

.

Author: admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *