A UN official said that unknown perpetrators attacked a group of UN peacekeepers in southern Lebanon, damaged their vehicles and stole their official belongings
Beirut-A UN official said on Wednesday that unknown perpetrators attacked a group of UN peacekeepers in southern Lebanon, damaged their vehicles and stole their official belongings.
This kind of scuffle with UN peacekeepers is not uncommon in southern Lebanon, because the peacekeeping force was expanded after the 2006 war between Israel and the Lebanese radical Hezbollah organization.
Kandice Ardiel, UNIFIL’s press officer, stated that the UNFIL, called UNIFIL, called on the Lebanese authorities to “quickly and thoroughly investigate and prosecute all those responsible for these crimes”. She added that the attack occurred on Tuesday night.
Local media reported that residents of the southern town of Bentjebel clashed with Irish peacekeepers who said they were taking photos of their houses. The report added that the UN troops were not accompanied by the Lebanese army.
Bint Jbeil is a stronghold of Hezbollah, and most of its area was destroyed during the 2006 war.
Adil said that contrary to the dissemination of false information, the peacekeepers did not take photos or on private property. She added that peacekeepers are going to meet members of the Lebanese Army for routine patrols.
“UNIFIL condemns attacks on men and women serving the cause of peace, which violates Lebanese and international law,” Adil said, adding that UNIFIL also condemns those who manipulate local residents to achieve their goals.
UNIFIL was originally established to supervise the withdrawal of Israeli troops following the 1978 invasion. After a month-long war between Israel and Hezbollah militants in 2006, the mission was expanded in Lebanon under the ceasefire agreement facilitated by the United Nations.
A similar incident that occurred with peacekeepers in southern Lebanon at the end of last year was condemned by the Lebanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs.