The United Nations has demanded proof of “whereabouts and well-being” of missing Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai.

Geneva – The United Nations said on Friday it wanted proof of Chinese whereabouts. Tennis star Peng ShuaiHe has been missing since he accused the former deputy prime minister of sexual misconduct. The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) has demanded a full and transparent investigation into the claims of former Grand Slam doubles champion Zhang Gawli.

“There must be evidence of her whereabouts and well-being, and we will insist that her allegations of sexual exploitation be fully transparent,” Liz Throssell, a spokeswoman for Michelle Bachelet’s office, told reporters. Investigate with. ” In Geneva

“According to available information, Peng, a former world number one doubles, has not been heard from publicly since he alleged on social media that he had been sexually abused.

“We will emphasize that it is important to know where he is and his condition, his well-being. We think it will be important to investigate his allegations,” Thrussal said.

rtr44065.jpg
Chinese peng shui celebrates after defeating Poland’s Agnieszka Radwanska during their match at the 2014 US Open tennis tournament in New York on August 27, 2014.

Mike Siger / Reuters


Peng, a 35-year-old former Wimbledon and French Open doubles champion, accused Chinese social media site Weibo earlier this month of having sex with former Vice Premier Zhang during a long-term relationship.

Claims were quickly cleared from platforms such as Twitter and have not been seen since, raising concerns about his health.

“In the case of Peng Shuai, we are calling for a full and transparent investigation into the allegations of sexual exploitation. This should be the case with all allegations of sexual harassment,” Thrussal said. “It’s really important to ensure accountability and justice for the victims, who have been traumatized.”

ChinaThe central government has also refused to acknowledge any concerns about Peng, a Foreign Ministry spokesman said Friday, adding that his agency, at least in part, was unaware of the dispute.

Xiao Lijian told reporters that the matter was not a diplomatic one and that he was not aware of the situation.

Despite growing noise from sports stars and others around the world, the International Olympic Committee said in a statement Friday that experience has taught the organization that “silent diplomacy seeks to resolve such questions.” Offers the best opportunity, “and declined to comment further

Tennis stars Naomi Osaka, Novak Djokovic and others have joined a course of online demands to explain Peng’s whereabouts from China using the social media hashtag #WhereisPengShuai.

On Wednesday, China’s state-run media published an e-mail sent by Peng to Steve Simon, boss of the International Women’s Tennis Association, stating “the initial allegations of sexual harassment.” It wasn’t true. “And that she wasn’t in it. Reality, missing – just relax.

The statement said, “The news item in this release, including the allegation of rape, is not true.” “I’m not missing and I’m not safe. I’m just relaxing at home and everything is fine.”

Simon answered with one. Statement Stating that the message conveyed by the Chinese media only serves to “raise concerns about its safety and whereabouts.”

“I have a hard time believing that Peng Shuai actually wrote the e-mail we received or believed what was being attributed to him,” Simon wrote. The rest of the world needs free and credible evidence that it is safe. I have tried many times to reach it through various forms of communication, to no avail. “

Speaking to CNN on Thursday, Simon said that if the country fails to account for Peng’s whereabouts and investigate allegations of sexual harassment, the WTA will “definitely take our business out of China.” Ready for

“It’s bigger than business,” Simon said CNN. “Women need to be respected, not censored.”

The WTA agreed several years ago with China to hold WTA finals in the country from 2019 to 2028. Simon Said In 2018, China pledged about ً 1 billion in investment in women’s tennis, including the construction of a brand new stadium as part of the deal.

In an interview with CNN, Simon acknowledged the seriousness of his risk of breaking with the agreement, and said that the WTA was “ready to deal with all the complications that come with it.”

.

Author: admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *