The Pentagon will review the deadly U.S. bombings in Syria in 2019 | Islamic State/Islamic State News

After the New York Times reported that dozens of civilians were killed in the explosion, the United States will investigate whether the procedures were followed.

US Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin has ordered a review of the US military bombing in Syria in March 2019. The New York Times recently reported that dozens of civilians were killed in this war. The last stronghold ISIL (ISIS).

The Pentagon Press Secretary John Kirby announced the investigation on Monday, saying that the investigation will be led by General Michael Garrett, commander of the US Army Command.

Earlier this month, the U.S. military admitted that civilians may have been killed in an explosion in Bagouz near the Iraqi border in 2019. Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) Leading ground combat with U.S. air support.

“It is very likely that most of the victims were also combatants at the time of the attack. However, it is also very likely that there will be more civilian casualties,” US military spokesman Bill Urban said in a November 14 statement Said in.

He added that “the investigation could not conclusively determine the status of the other 60 casualties caused by these attacks”.

AP21324193109768A Pentagon spokesperson announced that U.S. Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin has ordered a review of the 2019 U.S. military bombings [File: Patrick Semansky/AP Photo]

Urban’s statement was published a day after the New York Times, citing anonymous sources and confidential documents, Published a report Accuse the U.S. military of concealing the bombing.

The newspaper reported that the bombing hit “a group of women and children” and caused 64 deaths.

“Without any warning, an American F-15E attack plane skimmed through the drone’s high-definition vision, dropped a 500-pound bomb on the crowd, and swallowed it in a trembling explosion. The smoke cleared and some people stumbled to find cover. Then a 2,000-pound bomb was dropped by a jet following them, and then another bomb was dropped, killing most of the survivors,” The Times wrote road.

On Monday, Kirby said that the review will investigate “record retention and reporting procedures” and “whether the mitigation measures identified in the previous investigation of the incident have actually been effectively implemented.”

Kirby added that the investigation will expire in 90 days and will also assess whether “accountability measures” are appropriate.

The coalition forces headed by the United States launched bombing operations against the Islamic State (ISIS) organization in Syria and Iraq in 2014. The United States military has troops in both countries, and its stated goal is to prevent the organization’s resurgence.

Former U.S. President Donald Trump touted the failure of ISIL (Islamic State) on the territory as a major policy achievement of his re-election defeat in 2020.

Human rights groups have previously accused the US-led coalition of killing civilians in bombing operations.A sort of 2019 survey For example, Amnesty International discovered that the coalition had killed 1,600 civilians in Raqqa, the former de facto capital of Islamic State (ISIS).

The Associated Press reported on Monday that after the New York Times report was published, Austin listened to a briefing by General Frank Mackenzie, commander of the US Central Command, on the Syrian bombing.

The Associated Press reported that Mackenzie’s command stated that “preliminary investigations concluded that the attack constituted legitimate self-defense to support the Syrian partner forces that were attacked by ISIL”.

The investigation into the Syrian bombing was in The Pentagon recognizes In September, during the chaotic withdrawal of American troops from Afghanistan, a senior general previously called a US drone strike in Kabul that killed 10 civilians, including children.

But the subsequent internal review The Pentagon concludes The explosion did not violate the laws of war or constitute a criminal act or negligence, causing anger.

.