The FBI pays millions of dollars to the families of the victims of the Parkland school shooting. Gun violence news

The family’s lawyers stated that they had reached a settlement with the FBI because they failed to follow up on clues about the shooter.

Family members of most students who were injured or killed in an attack 2018 Parkland campus shootings in Florida Their lawyers stated that they had reached a settlement with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).

Lawyers representing 16 of the 17 students, faculty and staff who were killed in Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, as well as several wounded people, said on Monday that they had already claimed the agency’s failure to investigate their status. A settlement was reached in the prompts received a few months before February. Massacre on January 14, 2018.

That day, Nicolas Cruz, who was expelled from high school a year ago, walked into Building 12 with an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle and opened fire indiscriminately. According to the Broward County Sheriff’s Office, in about 6 minutes, he killed 17 people and wounded 17 others.

U.S. media reported that the FBI will pay a total of approximately US$130 million in damages, but the details of the settlement are confidential.

The victim’s chief lawyer, Kristina Infante, said in a statement: “It’s an honor to represent Parkland’s family, who are committed to making the world safer in immeasurable grief.” “Although No resolution can restore what the Parkland family has lost, but this reconciliation marks an important step towards justice.”

Approximately six weeks before the shooting, an FBI’s whistleblower hotline received a call saying that Stoneman Douglas’s former student Nicholas Cruz had bought a gun and was planning to “sneak into a school and start shooting at this place. gun”.

“I knew he would explode,” the caller told the FBI.

But the information was never forwarded to the South Florida office of the FBI, and Cruz was never contacted.

At the same time, five months before the filming, the owner of a YouTube channel reported a comment left under one of his videos. One of the users named “Nicholas Cruz” claimed that he would become “a professional School Archer”.

Just days after the shooting, the FBI admitted that it did not follow up on any piece of information.

Cruz was expelled from school a year before the attack and had long-term emotional and behavioral problems.

Andrew Pollack’s 18-year-old daughter Meadow was killed in the shooting. He praised the FBI for taking responsibility for its inaction, saying that the shooting was the agency, Broward The county school district, the sheriff’s office, and the school made greater mistakes. Security guards and psychologists treating Cruz.

“The FBI has made changes to ensure that this doesn’t happen again,” Pollack said.

Cruz, 23 years old, Plead guilty Convicted of 17 first-degree murders last month. After the penalty trial scheduled to begin in January, he will be sentenced to death or life imprisonment.

.

Author: admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *