Sudan’s reinstated prime minister says the government wants independence

The reinstated prime minister of Sudan stated that he will have the right to form his own independent government based on the agreement he signed the day before with the senior generals who overthrew him in the coup d’état last month.

In comments made in an interview with Al Jazeera’s English Satellite Channel, Hamdock said that he expects the next government to focus on rewriting the national constitution and holding elections on time.

On Sunday, the deposed prime minister of Sudan signed an agreement to reinstate him after a military coup put him under house arrest for nearly a month. The agreement envisages an independent technocratic cabinet led by Hamdok until elections can be held. Even so, it will still be under military supervision. But Hamdock claimed that he would have the power to appoint a government.

“This is a key part of the political agreement we signed,” Hamdock said in an interview. “The prime minister should have the power and authority to form an independent technocratic government with complete freedom and without any pressure.”

In response to the Sunday agreement, thousands of Sudanese took to the streets on Sunday to denounce their former prime minister’s betrayal of the democratic cause. He has been a civilian representative of the transitional government since the transitional government came to power after the popular uprising in 2019. The deposed longtime dictator Omar Bashir. The country’s main political opposition party stated that they strongly refused to reach an agreement with the generals.

In signing an agreement with the military on Sunday, Hamdock said his main goal is to stop the continued bloodshed among the country’s youth. According to Sudanese doctors, so far, at least 41 people have been killed in anti-coup protests.

Sudanese doctors said earlier on Monday that since the military seized control of the country last month, security forces have targeted hospitals and prevented injured protesters from receiving treatment.

According to a report from the Joint Office of the Sudanese Doctors of the Union of Medical Workers, since the October 25 coup, security forces have intercepted ambulances, entered the emergency room to arrest patients, and fired tear gas in at least two hospitals in Khartoum. .

The Sudanese Medical Council, the organization that announced the new death toll, said the latest victim was a 16-year-old young man who was protesting against a new power-sharing agreement between the army and the country’s deposed prime minister on Sunday. The organization tracks the death toll related to the protest.

The country’s army or police did not immediately respond, and they were all accused of using excessive force against democratic demonstrations by the United Nations’ top human rights agency.

But on Monday, the country’s second most powerful general issued an extra month’s salary to all members of the police force. According to a report by the Sudanese National News Agency, General Mohamed Dagalo, the commander of the country’s large paramilitary force “Rapid Support Force”, said that the police “have been under tremendous pressure over the past period of time.” He said that the bonus was caused by their efforts. To maintain the stability of the country.

The United States and Western countries have repeatedly called on coup leaders to allow civilians to protest peacefully.

State Department spokesperson Ned Price said that U.S. Secretary of State Anthony Brinken spoke with Hamdok and General Abdul-Fattah Burhan on Monday, urging “the two leaders to work quickly. Put Sudan’s democratic transition back on track.”

Brinken said that leaders should take action to implement their November 21 agreement, “including the establishment of a transitional legislative committee, judicial structure, electoral institutions and a constitutional assembly,” Price said.

In recent days, Sudanese police officials have tried to distance themselves from any actors in the deaths, saying that their troops on the streets were unarmed and that the protesters had committed violence. They have repeatedly promised to investigate the death report.

According to the committee, a large number of demonstrators were shot and killed by security forces. The families of the recently killed protesters are mourning the dead.

Marwa Salah’s brother Abu Bakr Salah was shot in the chest during the protests last Wednesday. She said she was determined to continue demonstrating against the military takeover.

“We will either die like them or take what they take for granted,” she told the Associated Press.


Author: admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *