Sudanese take to the streets to participate in new anti-coup protests

The Sudanese security forces fired tear gas to disperse the crowd. Thousands of people once again took to the streets of the Khartoum capital and other cities to protest the October military coup.

Activists posted live videos on social media showing protesters waving Sudanese flags in several cities and chanting: “Power belongs to the people!” and “The army belongs to the barracks!”

Social media is also full of images of tear gas gatherings in the capital, where protesters threw stones at security forces and hurled empty gas canisters at security forces. No injuries were reported immediately.

The Sudanese Professionals Association, which has initiated many rallies since the October 25 coup, earlier called on protesters to march to the presidential palace where the ruling military government is located in Khartoum.

Since the October 25 coup, at least 60 people have been killed in clashes with security forces and hundreds have been injured as they tried to thwart protests.

Thursday’s protests occurred less than a week after Prime Minister Abdallah Hamdok resigned for failing to reach a compromise between the generals and the country’s democratic movement. Hamdok was ousted in the coup and reinstated a month later after reaching an agreement with the military to calm tensions and anti-coup protests.

Most political groups and parties rejected the deal, insisting that the generals should immediately transfer power to civilians. At the same time, the military stated that they will not give up power until a new government is elected in July, as stipulated in the constitutional documents related to the transition period.

Earlier on Thursday, the organization that advocates NetBlocs stated on Twitter that the mobile Internet was interrupted before the protests, a routine measure taken by the authorities since the coup. Some activists also tweeted that many bridges and roads have been closed.

Since the coup, Sudan has been in a state of political paralysis. The military took over for more than two years after a popular uprising forced the long-time dictator Omar al-Bashir and his Islamic government to step down in April 2019.