Sudanese security forces fired tear gas to Khartoum protesters | Protest News

A major Sudanese protest group rejected an initiative by the United Nations to hold talks with the military.

When thousands gathered in the Sudanese capital Khartoum and neighboring cities, security forces fired tear gas and continued to put pressure on the military after the coup d’état 11 weeks ago.

On October 25, a coup led by the commander-in-chief of the army, General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, undermined the long-term ruler Omar al-Bashir in 2019. After being overthrown, the transition of power sharing between military and civilian was carefully established.

On Sunday, when pro-democracy protesters headed to the presidential palace, security forces fired tear gas and roadblocks tried to prevent people from gathering there and the army headquarters, the center of mass demonstrations, forcing Bashir to leave.

Protesters also held rallies in Khartoum’s twin city of Omdurman and northern Khartoum.

Al Jazeera’s Mohamed Vall reported in Omdurman that despite the large number of security personnel, the crowd had begun to gather.

“In the center of Khartoum, thousands of protesters were using tear gas. They were heading towards the presidential palace. They tried to reach the palace but couldn’t be as usual. They were repelled by the security forces,” Var said.

“In Omdurman, the crowds are getting more and more. They are behind schedule. They usually start very early. They are also trying to march towards central Khartoum. To get there, they will have to pass through and be closed by security forces. Manned bridges. The security forces are waiting for them in large numbers,” he added.

Protests since the coup-one of several power seizures in the history of Sudan’s independence-have been suppressed. Be killed According to medical staff, there are at least 60 people.

The authorities have repeatedly denied the use of live ammunition against protesters, and insisted that dozens of security personnel were injured in demonstrations that often “depart from peace”.

People saw medical personnel wearing white lab coats attending Sunday’s rally to protest the attacks by security forces on hospitals and medical facilities in previous demonstrations.

The Central Committee of Doctors in Sudan, which is part of the protest movement, said on Saturday that medical staff will submit a memo to UN officials listing and complaining about “attacks” on such facilities.

Last week, Sudan’s Civilian Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok (Abdalla Hamdok) Resign Said that the country is at a “dangerous crossroads threatening its survival.”

He only returned to office on November 21, and was initially deposed along with his government in an October coup.

On Saturday, the United Nations said it would Facilitate the talks Cooperation among the main stakeholders in Sudan to resolve the crisis.

However, the civilian coalition Forces for Freedom and Change (FFC), the first to protest against Bashir and become indispensable to the transitional government, said it has not received “any details” about the UN initiative.

On Sunday, the Sudanese Professionals Association-which also played an important role in the anti-Bashir protests-said it completely “rejected” the talks hosted by the United Nations.

“The solution to the crisis in Sudan begins with the complete overthrow of the insurgent military committee and the handover of its members to those who have been treated fairly for killing unarmed people. [and] Peaceful Sudanese people,” the SPA said in a statement.

Al-Burhan insisted that the military takeover in October was “not a coup” but only to “correct the transition process in Sudan”.

The UN Security Council will meet on Wednesday to discuss the latest developments in Sudan.