Sudanese security forces fired tear gas during anti-coup protests | Protest News

Witnesses said that the Sudanese security forces fired tear gas and thousands of protesters rallied against an agreement that reinstated the civilian prime minister after a military coup last month.

Thursday’s protests took place a few days after Army Commander General Abdul Fatah Burhan was released from house arrest and signed a new power-sharing agreement with Prime Minister Abdullah Hamdok.

This move was the biggest concession made by the military since the October 25 coup, but it put the country’s transition to democracy into crisis. Before the takeover, the Sudanese transitional government consisted of the Sovereignty Council, a military-civilian joint agency headed by Burhan, and a civilian cabinet headed by Hamdok.

The Sudanese democracy movement believed that the agreement did not meet the requirements of full civil rule and accused Hamdock of making himself a fig leaf for continued military rule. The military was originally scheduled to transfer the leadership of the Sovereignty Council to civilian personnel in the coming months.

Thousands of protesters took to the streets, again demanding the establishment of a civilian government in the Sudanese capital, Khartoum [Marwan Ali/AP Photo]

Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo (Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo) is still the deputy chairman of the new sovereignty committee led by al-Burhan established after the coup. He told Al Jazeera that the military takeover is between political parties. After a long discussion but failed to produce results.

“What happened on October 25 is the final result of a long process since Sudan began to change. During this process, various parties have discussed many times and put forward many initiatives,” the well-known Hemetida Gallo said in an interview. Say.

“The prime minister himself put forward two initiatives. During our meeting… we did our best but failed to achieve a breakthrough. At that time we had only three options, and the best of them was the action we took.”

‘Power belongs to the people’

Since the military ousted long-time leader Omar al-Bashir in 2019, Sudan has been struggling with the transition to a democratic government.

Since the coup last month, dozens of politicians and activists have been arrested, and protesters have repeatedly taken to the streets to stage the largest demonstrations since the end of Bashir’s rule.

According to medical personnel, protest organizers called Thursday the “Martyrs’ Day” to pay tribute to the 42 people killed in the suppression of anti-coup demonstrators.

Sudanese protesters demonstrate in the busy Jabula district of southern Khartoum [Ashraf Shazly/AFP]

Demonstrators in Khartoum chanted slogans such as “The people want the regime to fall,” while in the twin city of Omdurman, others chanted “Power belongs to the people, and the civilian government is the people’s choice.”

Witnesses said that security forces fired tear gas to disperse protesters in Omdurman and central northern Kordofan and northern Darfur.

Live broadcasts on social media also showed protests in the cities of Port Sudan, Kassala, Vadmada and Geneina.

Al Jazeera reporter Hiba Morgan from Khartoum stated that the protesters were “outraged at what they called the Prime Minister’s betrayal of agreeing to negotiate and sign an agreement with the military.

“Since the takeover, people have been asking the military to completely separate from politics, transfer power to a complete civilian government, restore Hamdock’s status, release all political prisoners, but also not participate in the daily affairs of the government. The country,” Morgan Say.

The Sudan Professionals Association was the organization that led the uprising, which eventually led to Bashir’s removal. The organization called for a rally and promised to continue protests until “the corrupt military government is overthrown and prosecuted for their crimes.”

The agreement that Hamdock signed with the military on Sunday envisages an independent technocratic cabinet, led by the prime minister, until new elections are held.

However, the government will remain under military supervision. Hamdok said he will have the power to appoint ministers.

The agreement also provides for the release of all political prisoners arrested after the coup. So far, several ministers and politicians have been released. The number of people still detained is still unknown.

On Wednesday, Hamdok told a local Sudanese TV channel that unless everyone is released, “the deal will be worthless.”


Author: admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *