The Philippine government is seeking to issue an order that would allow village officials to record vaccinations of all residents “house-to-house” as it extended movement restrictions until the end of January due to a new surge in the COVID-19 outbreak. 19 cases.
The move comes after President Rodrigo Duterte warned last week that he would Order to arrest unvaccinated person to curb the spread of the disease.
On Friday, Epimaco Densing, deputy to Interior Minister Eduardo Ano, said new orders were expected to be signed to create a “complete inventory” of the vaccination status of each of the country’s 42,046 villages.
“Many officials will have to go door-to-door to investigate or count,” Dansing told CNN Philippines.
“Once individuals are identified, particularly those who have not been vaccinated, they will be monitored to determine if they will leave their residence to purchase essential goods and services.”
Unvaccinated residents who leave their residences for “non-essential purposes” could face penalties, he said.
“Under the revised criminal code, if you don’t follow an authority figure or a valid order from a higher authority – in this case the president – they won’t be arrested for not being vaccinated, but for not following instructions or instructions from authorities.”
Since the pandemic began, the Philippines has implemented restrictive orders that have been questioned by rights groups and legal experts.
On Thursday, the country set a new record of 34,021 cases, with a positivity rate of 47.9%.
The number of active cases has also reached a new high of 237,387 since the start of the pandemic. Nearly 53,000 people have died in the country due to the coronavirus.
Health officials said the latest surge in cases was driven by the Omicron variant, but added that the Delta variant is still circulating and has also caused many infections.
On Friday, a health department spokeswoman said their data showed the peak of the latest surge could occur “at the end of January or even the second week of February at the latest”.
Liquidity restrictions continue
As cases continue to rise, the government announced on Friday that it will extend travel restrictions in Metro Manila and several cities and provinces across the country until January 31.
The order will continue to prohibit in-person classes, contact sports, and the opening of theaters and concert halls.
Vaccinated individuals can use 30% indoor capacity and 50% outdoor capacity in amusement parks, dining services and fitness facilities.
Another waste of time and resources. The focus should be on contact tracing, not finding out who was vaccinated. May listahan na po ang mga DOH, LGU in the private sector ng mga bakunado. https://t.co/DgtPbiFjlN
— Neri Colmenares (@ColmenaresPH) January 14, 2022
Recently, the Philippine government also ordered Banning unvaccinated passengers from public transport – The move is seen as a violation of the rights of Filipinos.
Concerns about invasion of privacy have also grown as new vaccine “stockpiles” are implemented.
Human rights lawyer and Senate candidate Neri Colmenares said the new order was “another waste of time and resources” by the government.
“The focus should be on contact tracing, not finding out who was vaccinated,” he tweeted.
But Dansing, a senior Home Office official, defended the new order, saying it was a “reasonable restraint” to protect everyone, especially the unvaccinated, from contracting COVID-19.
Last year, Dansing drew the ire of human rights advocates by suggesting that health workers should go “door to door” to test everyone for possible symptoms of COVID-19.