The United Nations said that the airstrike hit a refugee camp in the war-stricken Tigray region of Ethiopia, killing three Eritreans, including two children.
In a statement on Thursday evening, the United Nations said that Wednesday’s attack on the Maieni refugee camp near the southern town of Maicebri in Tigray injured four other refugees, but their lives were not threatened.
The UN High Commissioner for Refugees Philippe Grandi said in a statement: “I am deeply saddened to learn that three Eritrean refugees and two of them have been killed, and emphasize that refugees “should never be a target.”
“Although UNHCR continues to collect and verify the details of the incident, I reiterate UNHCR’s call on all parties to the conflict to respect the rights of all civilians, including refugees,” Grandi added, referring to the UN Refugee Agency.
The Ethiopian government or military did not immediately comment. The government previously denied targeting civilians.
“I am deeply saddened to learn that three Eritrean refugees, two of them children, were killed in an air strike yesterday in the Maiani refugee camp in northern Ethiopia.”
-UNHCR, United Nations Refugee Agency (@Refugees) January 6, 2022
On December 30, the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) stated that it was reported that dozens of civilians were killed in an air strike in southern Tigray that week. This was “the most intense attack reported since October. The largest number of casualties.”
In early November 2020, the war between federal government forces and fighters in northern Tigray has caused an estimated tens of thousands of deaths and forced millions of people to leave their homes, triggering a huge humanitarian crisis.
Before the fighting began, Ethiopia hosted approximately 150,000 refugees from neighboring Eritrea who fled poverty and an authoritarian government.
September, Human Rights Watch Say Eritrean soldiers — who joined the war with Abi’s army — and Tigray soldiers raped, detained, and killed Eritrean refugees in Tigray. These attacks amounted to “clear war crimes”. Most of its report focused on two camps-Himelba and Hitacs-which were destroyed in the fighting, forcing many Eritrean refugees to flee to the two remaining camps in Maiaini and Adi Harosh. .
“We need 100 trucks a day”
Ethiopian Prime Minister Abi Ahmed declared victory at the end of November after government forces occupied the regional capital of Mekle. But the fighting continued, and the Tigray army recovered most of Tigray before June, and then advanced to the neighboring Amhara and Afar areas.
According to reports, they reached about 200 kilometers (125 miles) Outside the capital Addis Ababa, But at the end of December, after the government forces regained a series of towns, they announced that they would withdraw to Tigray, which marked a turning point in the war.
The air raid on Tigray continues, and the area is also in Communication is interrupted As well as the de facto aid blockade described by the United Nations, preventing enough food and medicine from reaching the northern region of 6 million people.
OCHA stated in its latest report that since December 14th, trucks with no aid cargo have arrived in Tigray, and other trucks waiting to enter the area have also been looted.
United Nations spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said on Thursday that since July 12, only 1,338 trucks have been able to enter Tigray, “this is less than 12% of the trucks we need to enter.”
“As we have told you many times, we need about 100 trucks a day to meet the humanitarian needs of the people of Tigray,” he said at a daily media briefing.
According to the OCHA, due to the shortage of essential medicines, health outreach activities in parts of Tigray have stopped.
The Director-General of the World Health Organization (WHO) Tan Desai, who is also a Tigray native, said on Thursday that since mid-July 2020, the United Nations health agency “has not been allowed to deliver medical supplies to Tigray.”
“Although the WHO has repeatedly requested medical supplies to be provided to the Tigray area,” he said at a COVID-19 press conference.
“Even during the most difficult conflicts in Syria, South Sudan, Yemen and other countries, WHO and partners have the opportunity to save lives.
“However, in Tigray, the de facto blockade prevents access to humanitarian supplies, which is causing deaths.”