Melbourne, Australia – Novak Djokovic said on Wednesday that he knew his test was positive.When he attended a press conference and photo shoot at his tennis center in Serbia last month, he added that he had “made a mistake” and should have gone into isolation immediately.
Djokovic made the confession in a social media post. Tried to clarify “ongoing misinformation” About his movements after a positive experience last month.
“This is information that needs to be corrected,” he wrote, “especially in the interest of allaying the wider community concern about my presence in Australia, and to It’s very painful and it’s about my family. “
He was also accused of “human error” by his support team for a mistake in a travel document used a week ago to enter Australia.A COVID-19 vaccination story that spans the days leading up to the Australian Open.
The statement was posted on Djokovic’s social media accounts while the men’s tennis team was conducting a practice session at the No. 1 Rod Lauer Arena, his third on the tournament’s main court since his release from immigration custody.
The nine-time and defending Australian Open champion is missing before the first tennis major of the year starts next Monday, a week after he won the legal battle to stay in the country.
But he still faces deportation because he has not been vaccinated with COVID-19. This decision is entirely at the discretion of the Australian Immigration Minister if it is considered in the public interest for health and safety reasons. Deportation could result in a three-year ban on entry into Australia, a worrying prospect for a player who has won nearly half of his record 20 Grand Slam singles titles here.
Last month, speculations began about the star player’s participation in events in his native Serbia. Further questions were raised about the errors in her immigration form, which could potentially lead to her visa being revoked.
On the farm, Djokovic said he had not traveled in 14 days before leaving for Australia, despite being seen in Spain and Serbia for two weeks.
Djokovic called the recent remarks “painful” and said he wanted to address them in the interest of “allaying the wider community’s concerns about my presence in Australia”.
The 34-year-old Serb said he quickly took tests that were negative and used “a lot of caution” after attending a basketball game in Belgrade to obtain a positive result from an approved PRC test. Was asymptomatic before December 14
He said he received the result late on December 17, and broke all his promises except for a lengthy interview with L’Equipe.
Djokovic said: “I felt compelled to move on … but made sure I kept social distance and wore a mask except when I was being photographed,” Djokovic said. “When I went home to be isolated for the required period after the interview, considering, it was a mistake.”
He addressed the travel declaration, saying it was submitted by his support team and “my agent sincerely apologizes for the administrative error in ticking the wrong box.”
“It was a human error and certainly not intentional,” he wrote. The team has provided additional information to the Australian Government to clarify the matter.
CoVID suddenly hit Australia hard.
Concerns are growing in the community, meanwhile, cases of COVID-19 are on the rise.
The Omicron variant has spread across Australia, despite high vaccination rates and strict border policies, keeping the country largely closed to the world for almost two years.
These initiatives transformed Australia into a practically COVID-19-free utopia at the onset of epidemics. But they have made a fresh inquiry into Djokovic’s situation.
The state of Victoria, whose capital Melbourne is hosting the Australian Open starting next week, reported 21 deaths on Wednesday with 40,127 new cases.
Possible consequences for Djokovic
Australian-based lawyer Greg Barnes, who specializes in visa matters, told The Associated Press that if the immigration minister takes action, he can only choose to revoke Djokovic’s visa or have the tennis star revoke it. May give notice of intent.
Barnes said Hawk has “personal power” to cancel visas without giving him a written notice or a reasonable time to respond to Djokovic.
If Djokovic’s visa is revoked, his lawyers can go to court again to apply for a restraining order, which will prevent him from being forced to leave the country.
If the government issues a notice of intent, Barnes said it could give Djokovic nine days to respond, depending on when it is received.
“It could be a way to give Djokovic a chance in the tournament and then get him out at the end,” Barnes said. “In my experience, it’s relatively rare for them to change their mind.”
Simon Janes, a Sydney-based immigration lawyer, said there were “many misunderstandings” in the law and that the immigration department would take its time to ensure that any visa revocation was “appeal-proof”.
“It’s not an easy task because if they revoke his visa and then Djokovic wins (the appeal) and he loses the chance to compete, he will lose the prize money and all his legal fees,” Janes said. Can sue the department, “Janes said.