Survivors of deadly attack in northwest Nigeria say death toll has reached 200
Abuja, Nigeria-The survivors of the deadly attack in northwestern Nigeria said on Sunday that the death toll had reached 200, but the authorities said the three-day bloodshed resulted in only 58 deaths-the latest in a cycle of violence in West Africa Assault. nation.
Locals earlier reported that at least 100 people were killed in an attack by hundreds of gunmen, which lasted from Tuesday to Thursday in northwestern Zamfara state.
When residents told the Associated Press on Sunday that at least eight affected communities had 200 dead bodies, the authorities and police insisted that they had the upper hand in fighting extremism in Nigeria’s troubled northern region.
The Zamfara Governor’s Office and the police quoted the local chief’s narrative during a visit to the affected communities on Saturday that 58 people were killed in the attacks in the Bukkuyum and Anka local government areas in Zamfara.
“In Bukkuyum, we lost 36; Anka, 22,” Zamfara police chief Ayuba Elkanah also told The Associated Press. “These figures were obtained from the emir on the ground; the people they buried.”
Elkanah said that “nothing is easier than finding people in the jungle”, but the locals refuted the police’s statement that this is a general trend in Nigeria, and emergency services officials did not immediately respond to inquiries. Many people fled. “Until now, the search is still ongoing,” said the resident Shawwal Aliyu (Shawwal Aliyu).
Ibrahim Danda, another resident who helped take care of the survivors, said that people who had escaped from the affected village “tell us that there are more than 200 dead bodies, and some have not even been found”, which shows that The death toll may be higher.
It is said that when the gunman on a motorcycle encountered a local security guard at Zanfala, he was trying to avoid a military attack. During the violent conflict, they subdued the righteous police, and within the next 48 hours, “many villages were burned to ashes,” Aliyu said in Anka.
The death toll is in the range of more than 200 (and), which is the lowest reported (and) so far by many people in the community. We don’t have a place that we consider to be camps for internally displaced persons because all schools are filled by internally displaced persons. Full,” he said.
Many residents feel angry and frustrated, especially because such attacks by armed groups are not uncommon in northwestern Nigeria. In October, gunmen opened fire at a market in neighboring Sokoto, killing more than 40 people.
President Muhammadu Buhari of Nigeria, after promising to end the country’s security challenges, came to power in a wave of goodwill in 2015. He stated that the latest attack was a “desperate act of mass murder, and now Being under merciless pressure from our army.”
Buhari insisted that the military was “well-equipped” to deal with security challenges, and opposed the widespread claim that the number of gunmen and firearms attacking remote communities in northwest and central Nigeria exceeded them.
The Buhari government has been accused of failing to restore peace in hot spots of violence. This week, the Nigerian government designated these armed groups as terrorist organizations and set its sights on the security forces, how they will use this move to use force against them.
In addition to the Nigerian security forces that have been overwhelmed by the decade-long rebellion in the northeast, the attackers have often used the severely inadequate security presence in many affected communities in the north.
Ibrahim Zuma, a spokesman for the governor of Zamfara, told the Associated Press that the fighter jets recently purchased from the United States will be used to combat armed groups.
Elkanah said that the gunmen who attacked Zamfara were “fleeing” from the military attack. “So, any village with low resistance will attack. Without casualties, they will not succeed. Even in high-level wars, people must die.”