The attack prevented Saif al-Islam Gaddafi from appealing the disqualification of the presidential election next month.
The gunmen attacked a Libyan court before the son of the murdered former ruler Muammar Gaddafi appealed against his candidacy for the presidential election.
The Libyan government on Friday called the perpetrators a “group of lawbreakers” who launched a “hateful” attack that led to the closure of the court in the southern town of Sabha.
A lawyer for Saif al-Islam Gaddafi said that armed men prevented him from appealing his client’s disqualification from next month’s presidential election on Thursday, adding to concerns about voting unrest.
Khaled al-Zaidi said in a video that armed men raided the Sebha Court, one of only three registration centers, and prevented him from entering to appeal disqualified clients.
The Libyan Electoral Commission announced on Wednesday Refusal of candidacy Gaddafi submitted that he was wanted by the International Criminal Court on suspicion of war crimes.
He was one of 25 candidates who were cancelled by the committee from participating in the December 24 vote as part of an international peace-supporting process aimed at ending a decade of chaos.
Unsuccessful applicants have 48 hours to appeal the decision.
Al-Zaydi said that a few hours before the appeal hearing, the attackers forced all staff to leave the court building “at gunpoint”.
“This behavior is an obstacle to the electoral process,” he said in a video broadcast by the Libyan media.
He added that the Ministry of the Interior and the Ministry of Justice have ordered an investigation into the attack.
Controversy over issues such as candidacy is threatening Sabotage electionsAs part of the UN-supported peace process launched last year, the process witnessed the formation of an interim government.
Once the verification and appeal are completed, the final list of candidates will be announced in early December.
Committee refused Gaddafi’s candidacy According to the election law, the law stipulates that candidates “must not be sentenced for dishonorable crimes” and must provide a clean criminal record.
Sebha is controlled by a group allied with the Libyan National Army in the east, which is led by the traitor military commander Khalifa Haftar, who is the other main candidate in the election.
It is said that Haftar, a former CIA asset, has American citizenship, which may also exclude him. Many people in western Libya also accused him of committing war crimes during the 2019-20 attack on Tripoli.
Haftar denied war crimes and stated that he was not an American citizen.
Interim Prime Minister Hamid Dbeibah described the electoral rules issued in September by Aguila Saleh, the speaker of the Eastern Parliament, as “defective,” and he is also a candidate.
In recent years, Saleh’s support for Haftar’s failure to attack the Tripoli government recognized by the United Nations last year has aroused the anger of many people.