Libya: UN tries to obstruct the electoral process

The United Nations expressed concern about the forced closure of the Libyan Court of Appeals, which was designed to decide whether the son of the late dictator Gaddafi can run for president.

Cairo-The United Nations expressed concern on Monday that the Libyan Court of Appeals was forced to close, which was designed to decide whether the son of the late dictator Gaddafi can run for president.

The United Nations Mission in Libya said in a statement that it was following reports that armed groups “violently obstructed” the operation of the courts in Sabha City in the southwest of the country.

Libya’s highest electoral body last week released a list of candidates who did not meet the eligibility criteria; it included Saif Islam, the son of the late dictator and his heir. Because of his previous conviction, he was suspended. The young Gaddafi was sentenced to death by the Tripoli court in 2015 for using violence against protesters in an uprising against his father in 2011, but this ruling has since been challenged by hostile Libyan authorities. He was also wanted by the International Criminal Court for crimes against humanity related to the uprising.

The long-awaited vote faces other challenges, including unresolved issues related to election laws and occasional infighting between armed groups. Other obstacles include the deep rift between the east and west of the country and the presence of thousands of foreign fighters and armies.

In addition to the election concerns, the United Nations Supreme Envoy for Libya submitted his resignation last week, but he said that if necessary, he will continue to vote.

After the overthrow and killing of Moammar Gadhafi in 2011, oil-rich Libya has been split between rival governments for most of the past decade-one in the capital Tripoli and the other One is located in the east of the country. Both sides of the civil war also received support from mercenaries and foreign forces from regional powers such as Turkey, Russia, and Syria.

The son of the former dictator of Libya submitted his candidacy paper in the southern town of Sabha on November 14. This is the first public appearance of the 49-year-old London School of Economics with a doctorate in many years. He was captured by militants in the town of Zintan at the end of 2011 because the uprising ended his father’s 40-year rule. Seif al-Islam was released in June 2017.

The news that he might run for the election has caused controversy in this divided country, and many other well-known candidates have emerged in recent weeks. Among them are the powerful military commander Khalifa Shift and the country’s interim prime minister Abdul Hamid Debeba.

.