Interim leader Abdul Hamid Debeba runs for President of Libya | News

Interim Prime Minister Abdul Hamid Dbeibah (Abdul Hamid Dbeibah) submitted an application to run for president despite being banned and previously promised not to run.

Libya’s interim prime minister, Abdul Hamid Dbeibah, has submitted an application to run for president in the national elections next month, despite being banned and previously promised not to do so.

Debeba had intended to lead Libya before the winner was announced after the presidential election on December 24. He submitted the application one day before the November 22 deadline.

The 63-year-old businessman from Misrata promised that he would not participate in the election as a condition of assuming the caretaker role earlier this year. In order for him to be eligible, Dbeibah also needs to suspend his government office at least three months before the voting date, which he did not do.

“I submit my candidacy documents to serve you for the upcoming presidential election, not for anything else. We pray that God will help us all, for the benefit of the country, this great country, and this great people. “He said. Said at a press conference after submitting the request to the Election Committee.

“Despite all the difficulties and ambiguities that accompany the election process, I ask you to never lose hope because it has become clear and obvious. The beginning of the right path.”

Libya’s Interim Prime Minister Abdul Hamid Debeba (middle) registers for the presidential election to be held in the capital Tripoli next month [Mahmud Turkia/AFP]

Last year, the United Nations Political Forum called for parliamentary and presidential elections as part of the road map to end the civil war in Libya. This process also led to the formation of Debeba’s interim coalition government.

Debeba appointed as prime minister Nine months ago Despite allegations of corruption at a meeting of the 75-member Political Dialogue Forum selected by the United Nations that appointed him, he was confirmed. The interim leader denied these allegations.

His government aims to replace the East and West governments that have ruled Libya for many years.

The Election Commission and Libyan courts may rule on the qualifications of candidates in the coming weeks.

Continuing civil war

Since the 2011 NATO-backed uprising toppled long-time leader Muammar Gaddafi, the political situation in Libya has been unstable, and Gaddafi was later killed.

This oil-rich country has been split for years into an eastern government backed by the traitor commander Khalifa Haftar and a Tripoli government brokered by the United Nations, with the help of Western Libyan armed groups.

Both parties have also received support from foreign forces and mercenaries such as Russia, Turkey, and Syria.

Other candidates in the election include Gaddafi’s son Saif Islam Gaddafi; Haftar commanded the Libyan National Army (LNA), which launched a war against various factions in the west after the country’s split in 2014; and the Speaker Aguila SalehHas been leading the Libyan House of Representatives since 2014.

.

Author: admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *