Law enforcement officers in New Mexico sought help from the New York authorities in the investigation of the “Rust” shooting to retrieve Alec Baldwin’s cell phone-more than three weeks after the detective asked for the cell phone to be searched.
Santa Fe County Magistrate David Segura (David Segura) on December 16 Authorized search warrant, allowing local law enforcement to search Baldwin’s iPhone Obtain evidence that may be of value to their investigation on October 21 Photographer Halyna Hutchins was shot On the set of the low-cost western film “Rust”.
But so far, this has not happened, officials said this week.
On Friday afternoon, Juan Rios, a spokesperson for the Santa Fe County Sheriff, said: “The Sheriff’s Office does not actually have a cell phone.” “Mr. Baldwin’s phone number is in New York.”
Baldwin has a home in Hampton, Suffolk, New York.
Atty, the first judicial district of New Mexico. Mary Carmack-Altwies, Santa Fe County’s top law enforcement officer overseeing the case, said in a statement on Thursday that her office and the Sheriff’s investigators “are working with the Suffolk County and New York Sheriffs The department and Mr. Baldwin’s attorneys actively cooperated and “restricted within the jurisdiction” to obtain any materials related to the Rust investigation from Mr. Baldwin’s phone calls. “
According to local lawyers, the search warrant issued by Segura can only be enforced in New Mexico.
Law enforcement officers have been carefully checking the actions of these people Baldwin — actor and producer Who fires the prop gun during the rehearsal-and Associate Director David HolsHannah Gutierrez Reed, a 24-year-old armorer in charge of the safety of the set, is responsible for guns, ammunition and gun safety.
Representatives for Baldwin were unable to comment immediately on Friday.
It is unclear why the veteran actor and the star of “The Rust” did not voluntarily hand over their phones. In the early stages of the investigation, investigators from the Santa Fe County Sheriff retrieved the cell phones belonging to Gutierrez Reid and Hols. According to their respective lawyers, both of them voluntarily handed over their phones to the sheriff’s investigators without a search warrant.
Baldwin told ABC News anchor George Stephanopoulos that he pointed the vintage Colt .45 replica to Hutchins because they were rehearsing the scene that Hutchins and director Joel Suza planned to shoot later that afternoon. Baldwin said he didn’t pull the trigger Did not expect to be criminally charged.Bullets for prop guns Fatally hit Hutchins and made On Suza’s shoulder. He was treated at Santa Fe Hospital and discharged.
Carmack Altavis is expected to decide in the next few months whether to bring charges against Baldwin or the crew.
In the December 16 eight-page affidavit supporting the search warrant, Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office Det. Alexander Hancock said she is interested in viewing Baldwin’s text messages, emails, contacts, browser history, private messages on social media, and his recent call list. Investigators also requested access to digital images in the phone, deleted digital images, passwords, and any global positioning system (GPS) data.
In the affidavit of the search warrant, Hancock wrote that she “asked him and his lawyer for Alec’s phone number and was instructed to obtain a search warrant.”
The detective wrote that “sent and received several emails and text messages” regarding the product she wanted to check. Hancock pointed out that any information obtained unrelated to the investigation of the “rust” shooting case will be “sealed and subsequently destroyed.”