Clashes erupted in the Sudanese capital on the deadliest day after a military coup

خرطوم – Sudan’s capital was rocked by street clashes again on Thursday, a day after security forces shot dead 15 protesters. Army capture on October 25. عینی شاہدین نے بتایا کہ پولیس نے بغاوت مخالف درجنوں مظاہرین کو منتشر کرنے کے لیے آنسو گیس چلائی جو شمالی خرطوم کی سڑکوں پر رات بھر ٹھہرے ہوئے تھے، جس نے ایک تیز کریک ڈاؤن کا مقابلہ کیا جس کی بین الاقوامی مذمت ہوئی ہے۔

پولیس نے گزشتہ روز مظاہرین کی جانب سے کھڑی کی گئی عارضی رکاوٹوں کو توڑ دیا۔

Eyewitnesses said that later in the day, dozens of protesters returned to rebuild their homes, and police fired tear gas again in an attempt to clear the streets.

An eyewitness said that the protesters hurled stones at the police in response.

On October 25, General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan – the de facto leader of Sudan since the ousting of longtime President Omar al-Bashir in April 2019 – arrested the civilian leadership and declared a state of emergency.

The move affected Sudan’s fragile transition to full civilian rule, with international condemnation and punitive measures and aid cuts.

Kenya-US-Diplomacy-Blaine
US Secretary of State Anthony Blankenship addresses the Civil Society Roundtable at the Sankara Hotel in Nairobi, Kenya on November 17, 2021.

Andrew Harnack / Pool / AFP / Getty


“We condemn the violence against peaceful protesters and call for respect and protection of human rights in Sudan,” the State Department’s Bureau of African Affairs said on Twitter.

Secretary of State Anthony Blinken is on a tour of three African countries. This week, during which he will push for a peaceful solution to the crisis and war in Sudan. Ethiopia. Speaking on Thursday, Blanken condemned the violence against protesters in Sudan and reiterated the Biden administration’s call for the immediate reinstatement of ousted Prime Minister Abdullah Hamdouk.


Fears of civil war are growing in Ethiopia.

05:49

Meanwhile, Clement Wool, the UN special envoy for Freedom of Association, said he had received “alarming reports of increasing use of deadly force by the military against peaceful protesters” and called on the international community to do the same. That they “put pressure on Sudan to put immediate pressure on it. Respect its citizens and their rights.”

Burhan insists the military’s move was not a “coup” but a step towards “correcting the transition” to civilian rule.

Thousands took to the streets in Khartoum and other cities on Wednesday, but suffered the deadliest crackdown since the uprising. At least 15 people were killed, most of them in northern Khartoum, medical experts said, adding that the death toll had risen to 39 since the uprising.

پولیس نے کہا کہ انہوں نے شمالی خرطوم میں مظاہرین کے درمیان صرف ایک موت ریکارڈ کی ہے، جبکہ دیگر 30 کو آنسو گیس سے سانس لینے میں دشواری کا سامنا ہے۔ He said he did not fire any direct shots and used only “minimal force”, injuring 89 personnel, some in critical condition.

The latest protests took place across Sudan, despite the almost complete shutdown of internet services and the disruption of telephone lines.

By Thursday morning, phone lines had been restored, but Internet services were severely cut off.

Bridges connecting Khartoum with neighboring cities reopened and traffic returned to many of the capital’s roads.

AFP correspondents saw security forces removing roadblocks off some roads in northern and eastern Khartoum.

Last week, Burhan formed a new autonomous council, the highest transitional authority, with its own chiefs and military figures and former rebel leaders.

He replaced the members of the Forces for Freedom and Change, Sudan’s main civilian bloc, with unknown individuals.

The FFC is an umbrella coalition that led the protests that led to the ouster of President Omar al-Bashir in 2019, and its mainstream faction has backed anti-insurgency protests in recent weeks.

Sudan’s largest political faction, the Ummah Party, has condemned the use of force by security forces and called for peaceful protests to continue “until the uprising ends” and those responsible for crimes against the people. Is held accountable.

Since the coup, Burhan has removed clauses from the block referring to the FFC in the 2019 power-sharing deal between the military and civilians.

This week, US Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs Molly Fei met with generals and the deposed civilian government to find a way out of the crisis. Faye has demanded the reinstatement of ousted Prime Minister Abdullah Hamdouk, who is effectively under house arrest.

Burhan vowed to hold planned elections in 2023, reiterating with Phe on Tuesday that his actions were aimed at “correcting the pace of the revolution”.

.

Author: admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *