Decision to impose airspace restrictions on England’s Windsor Castle follows safety review
Windsor Castle, currently the main residence of Queen Elizabeth, will become a no-fly zone later this month, just weeks after a security breach at the site, police said.
“Following public consultation by Thames Valley Police and Metropolitan Police and an application to the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), the airspace restriction order at Windsor Airport has been approved,‘ Thames Valley Police said in a statement statement.
Police have warned that authorization is required for any flight through the restricted area, and anyone violating the order will face prosecution.
Scotland Yard said the no-fly zone application to the CAA was “part [an] Security arrangements at Windsor Castle under review” and not related to any specific threat. Airspace restrictions will take effect on January 27.
The royal residence has recently suffered a serious security breach. An intruder armed with a crossbow managed to enter the castle grounds on Christmas Day and was detained by security about 500 meters (1,640 feet) from the Queen’s apartment.
The intruder was reportedly a 19-year-old man who had previously uploaded a video to Snapchat in which he threatened to assassinate the monarch. He was later disciplined under the Mental Health Act.
The incident prompted Home Secretary Priti Patel to order a review of the crossbow legislation.
You can share this story on social media: